President Joe Biden said he ordered the U.S. intelligence community to “redouble” its effort to determine the origin of the coronavirus, including whether it possibly came from a Chinese lab accident. Melbourne will lock down as a cluster of cases continues to grow.
Thailand reported a record number of Covid-19 deaths, while Malaysia’s new daily infections rose to a high. Vietnam, also fighting a fresh wave of cases, is allowing some factory workers to sleep on site to avoid production disruptions, while Ho Chi Minh City is closing its hotels and restaurants, according to a local media report.
The European Union attacked AstraZeneca Plc’s vaccine supply “failure” and demanded an urgent order for millions more doses in the latest round of a bitter legal dispute over alleged broken promises by the drugmaker. France unveiled extra restrictions for passengers coming from the U.K. to fend off the coronavirus variant first identified in India.
- Global Tracker: Cases top 168 million; deaths exceed 3.49 million
- Vaccine Tracker: More than 1.74 billion doses have been given
- Seychelles’s Covid mysteries pit anti-vaxxers against scientists
- Generation of Covid orphans at risk of exploitation in India
- Where are we in hunting for the coronavirus’s origin?: QuickTake
- Why the mutated coronavirus variants are so worrisome: QuickTake
Subscribe to a daily update on the virus from Bloomberg’s Prognosis team here. Type CVID <GO> on the terminal for global data on cases and deaths